Cities With the Most Mosquitoes
Look out for the skeeters in Atlanta And don’t think those pesky critters are only in the deep South. Following on the heels of Atlanta for having the most mosquitoes in the U.S. are Washington, DC and Chicago, according to the annual list produced by Orkin. The U.S. cities with the most mosquitoes in 2017:
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Washington, D.C.
- Chicago, Illinois
- New York City, New York
- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
- Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
- Houston, Texas
- Detroit, Michigan
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Tampa-St. Petersburg, Florida
- Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Florida
- Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Virginia
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Mobile-Pensacola, Florida
- West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Florida
- Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
- Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Michigan
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Phoenix, Arizona
Orkin offers these tips to help you make your yard and home less mosquito-friendly:
- Remove standing water buckets, toys and other containers, as mosquitoes can breed in just an inch of standing water.
- Change water weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants and any containers that hold standing water.
- Keep pool water treated and circulating.
- Regularly clean gutters so water doesn’t pool.
- Trim shrubbery, as adult mosquitoes like to rest in dark areas with high humidity, such as under the leaves of lush vegetation.
- Repair and use window and door screens to help prevent entry.
- Close gaps around windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside.
This article was written by Easy 101.5