10 Tips for a Long Healthy Marriage
White lace and promises make us all think of happily ever after. But so often, that is not the case. So what do long-married couples do to make their union work? Loyola University Health System psychologist Michael Hakimi has spent 35 years studying that question and has come up with 10 answers.
Here are ten tips for achieving a successful marriage:
- Love your spouse unconditionally. Be generous in expressing your love, even when there is an issue. In words and actions, make your spouse feel very special. Commit yourself 100 percent.
- Communicate with kind words and compassion always remembering to say “thank you” and “I’m sorry.”
- Place the interests and welfare of your spouse above those of your own.
- Be faithful to your spouse, and make love as often as you both are in the mood.
- Provide for the needs of your spouse to the best of your ability.
- Listen carefully and try to understand what your spouse is saying.
- Take your spouse’s opinion into consideration before making any important decision.
- Work to overcome the undesirable traits in your own personality and behavior.
- Continually seek ways to become a better husband, wife or parent.
- Follow the Golden Rule: Treat your spouse the way you want to be treated.
This article was written by email@example.com